BRADBOURNE AND LEA HALL - Extract from "1876 Post Office Directory"
Bradbourne is a township and parish and village, 5.5 miles south-west from Wirksworth, 5 north-north- east from Ashbourne and 152 from London, in the Northern division of the county, hundred and county court district of Wirksworth, Ashbourne union rural deanery of Ashbourne, archdeaconry of Derby, Lichfield Diocese. The church of All Saints is an old building in the Early Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave and aisle, with square tower, and was repaired in 1846 at a cost of £300, in the tower is a very curious old Norman doorway. The register dates from the year 1720. The living is a vicarage, tithes commuted at £107 in the gift of the Duke of Devonshire, and held by the Rev. Edward Josiah Hayton MA of University College, Durham. The church of Bradbourne was given by Jeffery de Cauceis to the priory of Dunstable in the year 1205, and remained annexed to the priory until the Reformation, the churches of the parish (Bradbourne, Brassington, Tissington, Ballidon and Atlow) were served by a company of four monks, who were sent from Dunstable and resided at the rectory at Bradbourne, at the Reformation the church and glebe lands were given to Sir Walter de-Ferriers, who afterwards sold the lands and eventually the advowson of the rectory, the lands were purchased by an ancestor of Mr Buckston, the present possessor, about the end of the 17th century. Here is a free school, built by the late William Evans esq. and supported by Thomas William Evans esq. MP. Sir William Fitzherbert bart JP is lord of the Manor. The principal landowners are Sir William Fitzherbert bart JP, S H Chandos-Pole-Gell esq., Rev R G Buckston, and Mrs Alderson. Buxton’s charity of £1 yearly, payable out of the Shelbroad Close, in the parish of Brassington, and Gisbourne’s of £7.5s are for distribution. The soil is mixed, subsoil shale, clay and limestone. The land is chiefly kept in pasture for dairy produce. The area is 2834 acres, rateable value £4186, the population in 1871 of the township was 157 and of the parish 1185.
LEA HALL is a township; it pays church rates to Bradbourne. The area is 450 acres, rateable value £859 and the population in 1871 was 18.